, The Steelers Are Still In A Fog After Leaving London Losers | Pittsburgh Steelers Fans United | Steelers Fan News | Steelers Gear #navbar-iframe ( display: none !important; )

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Steelers Are Still In A Fog After Leaving London Losers

Ben Roethlisberger Loses The Ball Again

       With the Pittsburgh Steelers off to their worst start in 45 years, Ben Roethlisberger isn't mincing words about where the team stacks up against the rest of the NFL. "Right now, you could say we're the worst team in the league," after Pittsburgh fell 34-27 to the Minnesota Vikings at Wembley Stadium on Sunday. "That hurts." The Steelers' defense gave up nearly 400 yards and again failed to force a turnover. Pittsburgh is without a takeaway this season.

        Roethlisberger was sacked five times and harassed all game by Jared Allen and the Vikings, the Steelers dropped to 0-4, their worst start since 1968, when they lost their first six games en route to a 2-11-1 record.We are in uncharted territory, and the water is dangerous right now. It stings. I have to hope and believe we can turn it around. That's the approach I'm going to take this week and next week. I'm going to do the best I can to lead these guys and let them see how I go about my job.

         Roethlisberger, who has won two Super Bowls with Pittsburgh, acknowledged that this is the lowest point of his career. Roethlisberger completed 36 of 51 passes for 383 yards and one touchdown but also had one interception and a fumble on Sunday. The fumble came in the final seconds after he led the Steelers from their 22 to a first-and-goal at Minnesota's 6. "I felt like we made good strides on offense," Roethlisberger said. "It's just hard to say that and to feel very good about yourself after a loss."

         With a bye week before facing the New York Jets on Oct. 13 and perhaps mainly pride left to play for, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin put players on notice that jobs could be at stake. "I have great patience," he said. "The team will work to get better. As long as I see belief and effort and we continue to improve, that's what's going to change the outcome of these games. If I don't, [they] ain't going to be a part of it, whoever it may be. It's that simple."The challenge resonated with Ben. "Yeah, I'd start with myself," he said. "We have to hold ourselves accountable." 

No comments: